Thursday, November 5, 2009

Podcasts, Youtube... Was that 23 things already?

I found one Podcast that I really liked called "Jersey Arts". They feature interviews with different artists around NJ- theater, music, writers etc.. I liked that the podcasts were a good length- about 20 minutes each. I had never listened to a podcast before and it was almost like listening to a talk radio show. Thanks to ipods and podcasts as well, people are more interested in hearing interviews or listening to music without commercials. I noticed that radio shows often feature more "commercial-free" times throughout the day. I can see myself following a podcasts over blog. I like that a new podcast episode may come out every few weeks instead of blogs which are constantly updating with information.

Youtube is such a great website. A new youtube video is always a favorite topic of conversation. Even shows like How I Met Your Mother and the Office use popular youtube videos as a part of their plotlines. I always liked that you can create playlists on Youtube so then you wouldn't always have to purchase new songs.

I can't believe we have completed all of the 23 things! I had fun working on the different projects even though at times they were very difficult to figure out and required a lot of patience. I can see now how it is important for librarians to be aware of the technologies and programs available to its patrons. The program did a good job with tutorials and explaining the step by step process of each new program. I would recommend it when explaining new concepts to patrons. I struggled the most with the bloglines and I still do not know if that was on account of Learning 2.0 or the Bloglines website. I plan to be using more podcasts and wikis in the future. I want to stay informed about similar new programs that are out there. Overall I found it to be a positive experience, I definitely learned both about what is out there and how to set up new programs properly. It is important to know of these programs because if a patron has a specific problem- they want to follow 10 different blogs, self promote their band, or manage a specific list of websites from several computers- the librarian can suggest one of the Learning 2.0 options as a solution. Not bad, Learning 2.0!

2 comments:

  1. Brigid - i can't agree with you more. It went so fast and we learned so much. The otters are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right - if there is a specific need you need to find the right tool or site - it isn't just that everyone or every library should have a blog, it is knowing what purposes a blog could fulfill (for example)!

    Thanks for your participation!

    ReplyDelete