Thursday, September 24, 2009

Flickr and Librarian Trading Cards?

I really love the trading cards creator and I have been playing with them a lot this afternoon. I sent a few inside joke ones to friends. It is sort of like a less annoying ecard or the someecards site that was really popular a few years ago.  Flickr is a great website for storing photos and a lot of people rely on it so they don't have to store photos on their own computers and take up memory.  I don't think people take into account that they could technically lose their photos if the Flickr site shut down or decided to be all subscription based. Amy mentioned in class that it will soon be the norm to store large amounts of data online. I know that I keep a lot of my architecture portfolio in my gmail account. If anything ever happened to that account I would lose those files forever. Yet, it seems to be the safest place to store things because it can not be damaged or lost due to hardware issues.  I mean Google is invincible, isn't it??? 

2 comments:

  1. Great points! I would still keep your own "hard copies" of things ... I do this for photos and music but not much else - I am quite in Google's hands myself....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's important that you include a flickr image or a mashup or something - upload photos to flickr and link to one from here...

    ReplyDelete